Researchers have proven that movement helps us learn more effectively. We are limiting children's capacity for learning by making them sit still for too long, too often. Long moments of sitting still are not good for our constitution either. The concept of a healthy soul in a healthy body gets a whole new dimension: after all, movement also refreshes the soul. i3-Technologies’ iMO-LEARN team used this knowledge and experience as a starting point.
Our goals is to create a unique active learning environment in which students learn more intensely and develop their creativity through a new, movement-friendly approach.
Our first test was applied to a school with 8 Danish teachers and one hundred pupils from the towns Kolding, Vejle and Dragor. We’ve presented various types of exercises to impart the teaching material and created alternative classroom setups that encouraged the children to naturally move more. A new seat was designed: the iMO-LEARN.
The iMO-LEARN is made of expanded polypropylene. This material has a number of advantages:
- · You can put various components together quickly and easily to create complex geometrical shapes.
- · It is possible to produce hybrid components.
- · The material makes the cube extremely light and therefore more comfortable to use, relieving stress on the joints.
- · Expanded polypropylene absorbs energy and moisture. This means the cube has a high level of temperature resistance.
- · The material is easy to recycle, and emissions during production are low.
iMO-LEARN comes in both analogue and digital versions. The digital version has a motion sensor that communicates wirelessly with the online i3LEARNHUB digital board software. This enables you to magically transform the iMO-LEARN into an interactive and digital educational resource in no time at all.
1. Dynamic seating
The simplest one is the dynamic learning environment. The iMO-LEARNs are extremely suitable for this as there are no straight edges at all. Just try to sit still on one! The pupils move considerably more than in a standard classroom arrangement. This is a clear improvement towards more physical activity at school. You could use the iMO-LEARNs in class or integrate them into a special 'move and learn' area. The choice is yours!
2. Analogue active learning
You can work with every side of the iMO-LEARN. The iMO can be used :
- · For physical exercises that increase the heart rate of the pupils for at least five minutes - comparable to physical activities.
- · For short physical and knowledge tasks that lead to more oxygen being pumped into pupils’ brains and are ideal as a section in the lesson. We call these “brain teasers”.
- · For activities that deepen and intensify the way of learning. This is learning through movement (kinesthetic learning).
An intense co-creation process with one hundred pupils and eight teachers resulted in extremely diverse exercises on various subjects such as mathematics, languages, balancing exercises and brain teasers.
3. Digital active learning
You can instantaneously transform the iMO-LEARNs into a digital learning environment by providing them with motion sensors. For example: you can link them with the i3LEARNHUB on your i3BOARD or digital board and integrate them into the Quick Quiz module. The pupils answer the questions by moving their iMO-LEARN, and the system will automatically detect the right answer. The results are immediately visible. This adds a whole new dimension to embodied learning.
The advantages of iMO-LEARN
- • Flexible learning environment based on physical activity
- • Ergonomic design
- • Sustainable concept and materials
- • Link with i3LEARNHUB possible
- • 'Not being able to sit still becomes a bonus rather than a limitation
- • Active and creative educational resource
- • Product which makes movement a learning objective
- • Developed by teachers and pupils for teachers and pupils
- • 53 basic exercises provided to start with; creative expansion possible
- • Dynamic sitting, active learning and embodied learning in one product
- • An unprecedented learning experience thanks to deeper and more intense learning
i3-Technologies’ mission is to provide learning and meeting environments in the world with affordable and integrated solutions that foster integration, enabling easy access to inspiring ways of working. Our solutions consist of hard- and software technology products integrated with classic visual communication products and accessories that aid the environment´s users in presenting and collaborating effectively. i3 (iii) stands for interactive, integrated, inspiring.
Marketing & Communications
Kleine Schaluinweg 7
T +32 13 355 294